Q. What is a fraternity?
A. A fraternity is an organization of men bound together by friendship, knowledge, brotherhood, common goals and aspirations. Omega Psi Phi is a unique group of men that encourage high standards; community service and assist in the building of character and leadership development among men. Members of Omega share a common foundation comradeship that last a lifetime.
Q. What are the advantages of joining Omega Psi Phi?
A. Omega Psi Phi does not seek members; quality men seek Omega Psi Phi. A man who successfully completes the membership selection process will immediately have access to a brotherhood of men who share similar ideals and aspirations. Those who seek admission will learn the history of the fraternity from a historical perspective, written test and personal accounts.
Successful applicants will have a strong presence at the college, university or graduate chapter where they gain admission, but he will also become a part of an international organization known worldwide.
Omega Psi Phi has more than 700 chapters with members engaged in various academic disciplines and professional endeavors.
Q. What is the policy on hazing?
A. Omega Psi Phi Fraternity does not condone hazing in any form.
The organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC) are committed to nurturing the ideals of fraternalism and sisterhood in an atmosphere of responsibility and respect. We are also committed to upholding the dignity and self-respect of all persons seeking membership therein. Hazing is contrary to this commitment and is prohibited by the rules of each NPHC organization.
In 1990, the member organizations of the NPHC jointly agreed to disband pledging as a form of admission. At the dawn of a new millennium, we the members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council do hereby reaffirm our unequivocal opposition to hazing and those who seek to perpetuate it.
Q. Do you have to pay to become a member of Omega Psi Phi?
A. There is an application fee for men who seek consideration for membership. The dues are applied to local, district and national operating expenses. A portion of the collected dues are allocated for community service, social functions and nationally mandated projects.
Q. How much time is required?
A. Chapter members typically attend monthly meetings and participate in committee assignments. Beyond these obligations the time commitment that one chooses to invest in the organization is at their own discretion. The majority of members enjoy the comradeship and they are eager to participate in chapter functions, fellowship with the brotherhood and become officers and accept committee assignments.
Clearly, members will get out the fraternal association as much as they invest.
Q. I’m interested in becoming an Omega Man, how do I go about joining?
A. The first thing an interested man should do who seeks admission into Omega is to get acquainted with the men who are already members of this chapter .
A candidate should inquire to an active Tau Gamma Gamma member how the fraternity has served them, and also, how the active member has served Omega. Successful candidates should possess the principles of Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance and Uplift. Community service should be an important element of the resume and the successful candidate must be able to obtain a character reference from an active Tau Gamma Gamma member to sponsor the applicant’s request for membership. To be eligible for membership in Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., as a Graduate you must :
- have graduated an accredited College or University at least four years and one month prior to submitting an application for membership if your college or university, had an active chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., on campus.
- apply for and receive a waiver from the District Representative to submit an application for membership if you graduated less than 49 months prior and an active chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. was on your campus.
- have at least a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University.
- be sponsored by a member of the Tau Gamma Gamma chapter via a Nomination Form.
- have verifiable community participation and activism, church involvement, and leadership experience.
All Prospective Candidates must:
- complete an Application for Membership – Form 9A
- sign and notarize all required documents
- turn the application in to your Membership Selection Process (MSP) Coordinator
- provide at least five (5) letters of recommendation. Two (2) from financial members of an Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. chapter through which he is seeking membership and three (3) from members in good standing of the community.
- submit a Medical Consent and Release (Form 89) from a licensed physician taken within the last ninety (90) days of receiving Information Session Letter.
- pass the fraternity exam with at least 80% and pay all processing fees, dues, and assessments prior to initiation.
Because the fraternity emphasizes the selection of men of the highest caliber; you will be interviewed by the local Membership Selection Team. The Membership Selection Team will notify you of the results of your application for candidacy after all interviews have been conducted.
Additionally, the fraternity will perform a criminal background check to ensure that we are selecting men that are of the highest integrity. Note: submission to polygraph may also be required
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. takes pride in fulfilling it’s commitment to service, humanity, and to our mandated programs.